Tuesday, February 26, 2008

ko lipe

hey everyone!
 
we are down in ko lipe in the southernmost group of islands in thailand on the Andaman sea. we left after a close call of NOT leaving bangkok after having such a good time there with jeromi. we were back and forth for almost 24 hours and we were standing on the train still trying to decide if we were going to go or not. we left with a quick, silent jerk of the train, waving goodbye to jeromi until he was out of sight. and then, the journey began. we left at 1 pm on a sleeper train, hung out for 6 hours until it got dark, and then they switched the seats into beds, and we both climbed into our respective bunks. we had some herbal sleeping pills that we took after reading harry potter obsessively for hours, and to our dissapointment they worked only mildly well. 10 hours of being vertical later we woke up and they turned the car back into seats and we watched the scenery pass for another 1 1/2 hours until we got to hat yai. that's right friends, add it up...a 17 hour train ride, 965 km, 600 miles. we basically went all the way to san francisco to see our friends rata and chino and ko lipe. we left hat yai in a minvan and 2 hours later got to pak bang, then took another ferry for 2 1/2 hours, 35 miles, into the open sea, passing beautiful islands along the way. after almost 25 hours of travelling straight, we reached the island. we haven't found our friends yet which is very sad to us, but we have been having an amazing time. the water is so clear, we went snorkeling with no masks. all the restaurants are right on the beach, and the ones that aren't are on jungle trails that connect the island. there are no cars here at all...it has a very gilligans island sort of feel to it wandering through and getting lost, then asking people 'where does this trail lead?' today we are going to rent snorkel gear and a kayak and find a secluded beach to our own and enjoy the water and abundant wildlife that's in this marine park.
hope everyone is great, we'll write more soon.
 
oh, we head to bali on the 2nd of march and think we've already found a great place with our friend chloe. bye!
 
carson

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a lot of traveling to get where you are. But it sounds like it was worth it. And at least you weren't on the scary bus. Even without sleep the train ride still sounded good.

I love your description of where you are. Sounds wonderful! Snorkeling without masks? wow! And how lovely to be on an island with no cars and paths through the jungle. It sounds great. It's nice to know that places like that still exist in the world. I mean...I know they do. It's just that being here, it seems so far from the reality I know.

Here, we are being teased with spring. I'm okay with that, just knowing that it's coming is (almost) enough for me. I figure we'll have more rain and cold but the last few days have been delightful. And...YOU'LL arrive with the true spring and I can hardly wait! Life just keeps getting better and I look forward to sharing it with you in a less electronic way.

Travel well. Have fun. Laugh lots. And...come home safely. I love you guys.

mom/debi

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Oh, sounds lovely! I can't wait to hit that part of Thailand next time I am over there. I went for my first scuba dive today, and the world of clear blue water now seems to have a new meaning...

I'm so excited for you guys for Bali. I bet it is going to be wonderful, and even over here on my own island, I'm kind of jealous.

I hope you find your friends in Thailand, and I can't wait to see you on the flip side.

Lots of love,

K